Saturday 23 February 2013

THIS IS SABO


                                                              
One of the joys of life is when you least expect an occurrence and then it suddenly happens.  Especially when pleasant natural phenomena like a rainbow, snow, an eclipse occurs. It is something you look forward to and take pictures of. But on a Friday afternoon at about 2 pm  when you are walking under the hot sun, in need of transportation (an Okada is not even an option) and you get to the taxi garage only to find it empty. Believe me, the only pleasant occurrence you need is a ride in a vehicle with a roof.

Waiting patiently was the next option. “A taxi will soon arrive”, I told myself. Five minutes later, under the scorching sun, still no taxi in sight. “Maybe it’s the road construction causing the heavy traffic," hence the absence of taxis at the garage. At this point I started wondering why I didn't resist the idea of taking public transport and taking my car out. The fear of driving in traffic never seems to elude me these days.

            Boredom wouldn't stop tugging at my skirt so I allowed my eyes to wander. I almost began to run when my eyes saw a crowd gathering from afar. Don’t judge my Fright or flight hormone; this is Nigeria, worse still this is Sabo. Anything can happen at any time. I saw people simultaneously bringing out mats and spreading them on the main road. Was this an African flash mob or what? I asked the middle-aged woman in ankara by my side to confirm what I was seeing. She replied, “Ah, emi na o mo o, oya mi gan lenu” (meaning: I too do not know [what it is], I am surprised too]. Probably she knew what it was and didn’t want to reply for fear of being overheard and lynched or she was telling the truth. I do not know.

People praying on the street, a major road with no alternative route was the height for me. The traffic gets unexpectedly heavy and is even worse because of the on-going road construction by the Ajimobi government. You probably might have experienced this, but unexpectedly? Under the angry, bitter sun waiting for a taxi??? Not quite. I hear this is the norm around here and even the police help to divert the traffic. I just wish the government would build a bigger mosque for Sabo Muslim faithfuls to pray, so this “African flash mob” and complete standstill of traffic stops. But the Dora in me decided to explore and take pictures. I really applaud them, I do. It was fun while it lasted, apart from me literally burning under the sun. Thank God for melanin.
Just look far up, yes those little dots on the other side of the road. They are human beings. 

P.S: I had to stylishly take these photos. That is the reason they are not so clear and distinct. I was afraid of being lynched because you never know…….Hey, this is Sabo.

 Follow me on twitter @AnosimeI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments here...