Friday 15 February 2013

One Mixture, too many...


Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity is a very relevant theory in even the most unusual aspects of life, whether it is moving objects, colours, fashion, art or even beauty. Every dream has a price tag attached to it; it’s either you can afford it or you move down the shelf for a cheaper alternative. I really don’t know how to start to talk about my experience in Yaba. Even as I type this words I type with a little difficulty, not because I am in pain or short of words to write but because I fixed artificial nails(for the first time in my life) which by the way are really cute and cool, but trust me it’s like walking on stilts.

 I happen to be a very laid-back, simple girl who always insists on styling my natural hair. I tell people I will still use thread on my hair (not the rubber ones) when the opportunity arises because I believe in doing things naturally or somewhat primitively. Yes, I am a girl with green fingers and when I see seeds of any plant, I immediately see myself digging a hole and making ridges. This doesn't mean I don’t know my left from right in fashion. Beauty is pain but pain is certainly NOT beauty.






The length at which women would go to attain ‘perfection’ can be somewhat frightening. Whether it is to look like the cover girl or have that flawless skin like that Lagos “big girl” whatever it is, the quest for beauty is a journey most women would go to any extent to embark upon.

Pretty albino girl





                             
Agbani Darego 




Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity applies here too… 


    This brings in the highest factor in this search which is the use of chemicals. From the crown of a woman’s head to the sole of her feet, there are thousands upon thousands of products to apply, whether is to enhance, hide or eliminate certain features from her body, But very key to the use of chemicals is literacy and the ability to use common sense. I am going to tell you about a little experience I had in Yaba recently.

         I went shopping recently and on my way out of the market, I realized I still had some time on my hands, so I decided to stop by a cosmetic shop. Only God knows why I picked the shop upstairs because there were other shops downstairs. On getting into the shop, I totally forgot what it was exactly I came to buy and began to ask for the prices of all sort of things. At first, there was nothing unusual about the shop, it was one of those shops were the items being sold were stacked in no particular order but not too haphazardly, ladies of different age groups filing in and out and there were hundreds of different products to choose from, however the main reason for my distraction was the presence of some plastic bowls around the shop used for “mixing” body lotions. On sighting this I decided to sit down and watch.

I pretentiously asked one of the shop girls for advice about a skin pigmentation issue which she obviously couldn't notice, she told me to consult ‘Mama Tekena’ (pseudo name), so on pretense of consulting her I sat down and watched. I must have spent close to an hour observing the mixing of lotions and ointments to various clients with a variety of skin issues. This is how it works, you consult her, she tells you to select a couple of body cream, ointments and all, then you wait in line for her to mix them and give you advice on how to use it. Mama Tekena was very confident of herself and the efficacy of her mixtures.

As I watched this modern day alchemy, my interest in the whole process then I peeped into the basket of one of the ladies, I was shocked. In it contained bottles of cream with incomprehensible instructions and ingredients, tubes of cream for psoriasis, fungi infections e.t.c., products with alpha-hydroxyl acids (AHA) (with no accompanying sunscreen whatsoever) and some other regular skin whitening lotions. It was then I realized that the motive behind the ‘mixing’ is to get ‘white’, smooth and shiny at all cost, not minding the damage or manufacturer’s instruction required. Is a sunscreen required after/during use of this product? When and how is it intended to be used? Is there anything that would use an adverse reaction if I use this product? Will mixing this lotion with another, concentrate the components present in this product? How long should it be used? Is it suited to my environment and climate? Can I cope with the Do’s and Don’ts of this product? These are relevant questions to be asked during purchase of any skin or hair care product. Ask questions, read instructions, visit a dermatologist because at the end of the day only you suffer.

      Finally, after about  forty-five minutes I made up my mind about what I wanted and left the shop, knowing well that someone would make a remark about a girl that read the literature on every item she picked. I wasn't bothered because I had made a right choice and it was another opportunity to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments here...