Thursday 4 April 2013

Touched by an angel


Most times, we complain about our country, the government, the economy, our neighbors, friends and more often than not, God. Whatever it is, there is always something/someone to complain about or blame, just like President Jonathan who deems it seemingly fit to blame ‘no one’ for corruption. Good thing is, that he has ‘one’ to blame. So, in my queenly garment, scepter and my cute poodle (wink), I finally decided to summon courage and blog this (this story is about a month late I have been really busy).


A clear mind in the morning is a necessary tool to get you started for the day’s tasks ahead, but on this fateful day I wasn’t equipped with this tool. Three things were wrong with me, I was fidgety, and bothered about something I couldn’t quite place my finger on, and had no cash on me, but that wasn’t really the problem. I was suddenly worried about million things at the same time, most of them unessential. I wanted to go out but had no transport fare on me but I had previously bought fuel in the car enough to take me to and fro, but I kept staring at the car keys and the car. Again, I summoned courage to drive. Something was holding me back. I kept trying to cancel the journey. Courage -my servant was summoned yet again. I  said my usual gentle prayer.

I hadn't gone far when a young girl asked for a ride, hadn't also gone far when got stuck in a ditch I tried avoiding because of an oncoming vehicle and the fact that I trusted the jerk   dude for encouraging me to move on. Ugh! Anyway people came to help me out while the jerk- -dude drove off but was probably arrested by his conscience (if he had any) and promptly came back to help. Another woman with a toddler and baby strapped to her back asked for a ride. This time the other girl had started walking off. (Seriously, I suspect that girl). Again, I hadn't gone far when I made a very silly mistake of changing my radio station with my well garnished, distracted state of mind and in the blink of eye I drove over an already felled tree. BAM!!! I was stuck for good.

 “Oh! God, why this happening to me? What kind of day is this?”

We came down from the car, I pulled all my ‘Pepeye paraphernalia’ [Simply meaning: my jewelry] and started to huff and puff trying to pull the tree. I knew we were coming to naught. But I had to try anyway. The woman kept asking me “how did it happen?” as if she wasn't in the car when it happened. 
 Just about then a black Toyota highlander or a Prado SUV drove speedily around the corner; the driver, a middle aged well-built man paused and asked very authoritatively, “Who was driving?” “You?” I said “Yes”. Then he drove off. I hissed “See this man oh! what concerns him with who was driving”.  Suddenly, the man stopped opened his boot and brought out a cutlass and started running barefoot towards me. Oooh la la!! 

 At that moment, the only thing I knew that a cutlass could be used for is beheading human beings. In my weird twisted fantasy, I imagined Swahili music, drums played by half-clad men with bodies that looked like they had been marinating in oil forever, bloodthirsty maidens chanting and shaking their hips , and the man in Zulu warrior's ensemble running with a cutlass towards me and me tied to stake about to be sacrificed. So, this is why I had the premonition!!! Sweet baby Jesus!!! am I about to be ………?

 A good head shake brought me back to reality. By this time, the man had begun to hack and hack the wood over and over again. Peeps, it was a lot of timber. Finally the car was set free. The woman kept asking me if I knew the man, she was shocked as I was at the quick, prompt response. I thanked the man and he waited to ensure I drove off with no more problems. I almost turned back but the woman kept encouraging me to go on. Well, it might have been to her own advantage, who knows because I dropped her off exactly at her destination. I got to mine safely too without touching the radio. Ehn! Fear would not even let me think about it.

I learnt a lot of lessons that day, the obvious being:

·         Never change the radio stations while driving especially when you are distracted, and the other

·         Even when people leave your life when you expect them to be there, don’t worry if they are meant to help or be yours, they will surely come back.

·         When you need help, He (God) is ever willing to help/ have mercy even when you are wrong.

·         Fear not


But unlike President Jonathan who has no one to blame, I blame myself for being so distraught but nonetheless I was touched by an angel.




Tiddley- wibbledy -da

 Till we see Jare

It’s Miss Nono.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments here...